Boot Hill

The Commander Keen Community Mod!
doomjedi

Post by doomjedi »

Grimson wrote:
What is the "problem" with it?
Well...rotating it 90 degree I might see what you could mean, but that was not intended either.
It's not that, I find the upper eye redundant, it's like I'd imagine the head to be where the big bulb is. You are correct, it does look alien enough, however I can't really explain what I feel wrong with it.
Played with the variation a bit...anything you like?

Grimson

Post by Grimson »

Anything from the ones with the hats. They are cute :) I guess I like the most the three to the right, on the second row.
lemm

Post by lemm »

lol yes the straw hat

although i agree with dr. k i think this level is becoming too much of a non sequitor
doomjedi

Post by doomjedi »

I like the one below the straw hat too.
Deltamatic

Post by Deltamatic »

lemm wrote:although i agree with dr. k i think this level is becoming too much of a non sequitor
And that's another vote against. Spleen, what do you think?
doomjedi

Post by doomjedi »

Against what....can you be more clear? Are Boot People (as were in the original concept and as are those cute yellow aliens I make) OK?

Against:

1. Boot People (+ all the rest) ?
2. ReBoot people only ?
3. Reboot people OK but not Tech-Gravestones or Diskette-type Scenery/Background?
4."Find a Mainframe and print a MineChart on it" idea?
CommanderSpleen

Post by CommanderSpleen »

Alright, guess I'd better get a word in here.

I do agree about the non-sequitur observation. These Boot Hill ideas are becoming rather self-serving and disconnected from the overall plot.

The double pun is amusing, and I would like to keep the mainframe idea if we can make it fit. Maybe it's an early predecessor to the oracle, with a Deep Thought inspired appearance. But what does it say/do? The minefield idea is dropped entirely for now, so leave that out of this.

Feel free to continue shooting down this idea, but some alternative ideas would be helpful if you do.

The boot people look good. I like the brimmed hat idea. Go with it. Let's stick with just the worm guys though and drop the disk people.

Shooting them once could destroy the boot, then you have to deal with the inhabitant, whether by shooting or squishing them with the pogo (if that can be patched in.)
Grimson

Post by Grimson »

They don't look small enough to be pogo-able. I think stunning them would be sufficient.
doomjedi

Post by doomjedi »

Ok, I'll try to animate him
Dr. Kylstein

Post by Dr. Kylstein »

I don't think the mainframe + graveyard works without getting surreal. The mainframe would be better off in a ruins level somewhere. If we can't come up with an item for boot hill, we can always just make it a blocking level. If it gets placed in the foothills, it would be logical enough that you have to pass it to get into the mountains. Or maybe somebody was buried with a diskette, if we're so keen on that pun.
doomjedi

Post by doomjedi »

doomjedi wrote:Ok, I'll try to animate him
Last edited by doomjedi on Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
lemm

Post by lemm »

Maybe you can reboot the mainframe by just booting it, with a boot, and no disk =)

Also I like spleen's suggestion that the oracle is what needs rebooting. Perhaps that could be the reason why the council "owes him one." He fixes the oracle. (As the oracle is low on memory from having too many TSRs in operation, but the council members are all old people and can't fix it... iunno something stupid like that)

So we could save the reboot pun for episode 3, and jsut keep the boothill foothill pun for this episode. And then maybe another boot pun in episode two... I dunno, maybe these little guys go camping somewhere.

Erm, does anyone want to maybe make a level tileset from existing tiles, or draw some more tiles?
doomjedi

Post by doomjedi »

lemm wrote:Maybe you can reboot the mainframe by just booting it, with a boot, and no disk =)
Wow, interesting suggestion :) Funny. And more Keeny in a way. Then Keen need to be able to ride the Boot? Should I make the frames?

You know - one of the interpetation of original "boot" term in DOS was actual "boot-hit" of the comp to fix things...like the Oracle MainFrame...to give it a "good boot" :)
iunno something stupid like that
Yeah, the stupider the better :)
I dunno, maybe these little guys go camping somewhere.
Any feedback on the current art draft?
Grimson

Post by Grimson »

I love the new frames.

Hmm, I don't like the name Boot People that much, what about something like "Bootlings"? Also, are they supposed to harm Keen, do they push him around, and can Keen perhaps jump on them and ride them (whilst they have the boots. If you shoot them and destroy the boot, you can no longer ride them)?
doomjedi

Post by doomjedi »

Grimson wrote: Hmm, I don't like the name Boot People that much, what about something like "Bootlings"?
Sounds quite fit :)
Other variation can be Booties...
Also, are they supposed to harm Keen, do they push him around,
Pushing seem more logical, but I don't mind either way...
and can Keen perhaps jump on them and ride them (whilst they have the boots.
IMO no...if Keen can ride a boot - then only empty Boot. Full boot IMO should be a danger to Keen...but I can live with pushing too.
If you shoot them and destroy the boot, you can no longer ride them)?
We have 2 options here -

1: Boot is destroyed and you have a "boot-naked" creature against you, or
2: The shot pushes him out of the Boot and you can take over the Boot and ride it.

Or you can kill him with Pogo Stick or whatever....Lemm...do we still have coding spot for this creature?

We can even go with the Goomba boot concept....