Sprite Behaviours in C

The Commander Keen Community Mod!
lemm

Sprite Behaviours in C

Post by lemm »

Hello,

It is now possible to write sprite behaviours in C. No more going through the trouble assembly to program our sprites. For this mod at least, I hope that some people with C knowledge will use this, because I sure as hell don't want to write 15 sprites worth of behaviours in assembly =).

Anyways, here is a slightly less sloppy example of the default garg movement code in C:

Code: Select all

#include "keen1.h";

extern Sprite temp_sprite;
extern long int tick_count;
extern int sprite_sync;

extern int compute_sprite_delta(void);
extern void do_fall(void);
extern int get_random(void);
extern void think_4_garg_look(void);

void garg_move() {

if (temp_sprite.vel_y == 0 && temp_sprite.vel_x > -220 && temp_sprite.vel_x < 220) {
		if (get_random() < sprite_sync) {
			temp_sprite.think_ptr = think_4_garg_look;
			temp_sprite.var_c = 0;
		}
	}

if (temp_sprite.vel_x > 0)
		temp_sprite.frame = 0x40;
	else
		temp_sprite.frame = 0x42;

temp_sprite.frame += (int)(tick_count >> 4 & 1);

do_fall();
	int csd = compute_sprite_delta();

if (csd & 4)
		temp_sprite.vel_x = 0xffc4;

if (csd & 1)
		temp_sprite.vel_x = 0x3C;

if (csd & 2)
		temp_sprite.var_c = 0;
	else {
		int l = temp_sprite.vel_x;
		int m = (l & 0xFFFF) ^ (l >> 16);
		m -= (l >> 16);

if (m == 0xDC && temp_sprite.var_c == 0) {

temp_sprite.var_c = 1;
			temp_sprite.vel_y = 0xFF38;	

}
	}

return;
}
EDIT:

Here is a bare bones package if you want to try out writing stuff in C. It's still missing a few header files and the help is incomplete, but it contains a walkthrough to guide you through the process of making the garg code. You don't need any other patches to do the walkthrough.

There is one .zip; just dump all the contents into a keen v1.31 directory with ck1patch and follow the instructions. You need winXP.

http://www.mediafire.com/?tnimtdzk1mt

EDIT 2:

Slightly more user friendly. There is no need for hex-editing of object files anymore. Instead, run fixobj <object.obj> 0x#### , where 0x#### is the starting offset of your function, and then link. (It's in the instructions.)

http://www.mediafire.com/?ancwbdgyyym
Last edited by lemm on Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:24 am, edited 4 times in total.
Fleexy
Site Admin

Post by Fleexy »

Nice! However I don't know one character about C/C#/C++. Do you think you could rig up something like this for QuickBASIC, GML, or VBScript? Of these I am most experienced at QB. Of course I understand if it's impossible or too hard.
Draik

Post by Draik »

Those other languages I would put at unlikely at best.

On another note, woo! C is much more manageable than assembly for me, so I might pitch in here.
lemm

Post by lemm »

I couldn't do it for basic, but there are basic to c translators out there which might work if you are adamantly opposed to C syntax =)

Here's one: http://www.bcxgurus.com/
Mink

Post by Mink »

Amazing, Lemm! The extent to which you've improved modding is just astounding. I'm looking forward to writing some enemy behaviors.
levellass

Post by levellass »

I can do QB or a limited amount of Assembly, those are the only two languages I understand well enough.
lemm

Post by lemm »

Bamp.

Check out the new link. You can start fooling around with stuff now. Let me know if you are successful.
pizza2004

Post by pizza2004 »

This is awesome, I'm going to look into using this in Commander Genius. How hard would it be to do this with the physics?
gerstrong

Post by gerstrong »

This code seems to me quite similar in Commander Genius. Well it has to be... Interesting in fact
Fleexy
Site Admin

Post by Fleexy »

BOOMSHAKALAKABUMP

It's been a few years, and I am just now thinking that I could actually make some use of this. However, MediaFire - being awful - decided to drop those files. Could someone please put this back up?

Thanks, lemm!
lemm

Post by lemm »

I can't find it on my computer.

If the PCKF Dropbox is still up, the CKCM uses the same system to generate a patch from C code, so you could try to work backwards from that.