Keen Sprite Nominations

The Commander Keen Community Mod!
lemm

Keen Sprite Nominations

Post by lemm »

Well there needs to be a consensus on which style of keen sprite will be used; it is the most important sprite after all! So, what are peoples thoughts? I listed a few nominations here, but there are undoubtedly more I have left out. And of course someone could always draw the new keen. I'll make a poll thread after the list is exhausted.

Contenders:
Vorticons Keen
Galaxy Keen
XkyKeen
Recoloured "Romfahuer Rauh" (Levelord's Generic Mod)
Perilous Pursuit Keen
Draw new keen
Deltamatic

Post by Deltamatic »

New Keen! In his pajamas for episode 1 (since he just woke up before going to the BwB), in warmer clothes for episode 2 (since he spent the whole last episode in cold weather wearing just his pajamas)--maybe boots, a jacket? And in episode 3, robes (to blend in with the local population and to look cool, though the stealth part probably wouldn't last beyond the story file).
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

I think we had an agreement to use a slight 2.5 perspective, so that kinda disqualifies the Vorticons and Xky Keens. Raumfahrer Rauh or Perilous Pursuit Keen would be an option, but they're both a bit too large for my taste, so I'd vote for a new one.
lemm

Post by lemm »

I do like the new keen frames that doom jedi has drawn, most of all because they have a bit of depth to them, whereas the original vorticons keen was completely flat.
doomjedi

Post by doomjedi »

Thank you :)
CommanderSpleen

Post by CommanderSpleen »

The reason I wasn't so fond of doomjedi's Keen sprites was that they were based heavily on the original Vorticons sprite. IMKO we should use a shinier sprite from an existing mod as a base. The ones made by Levell* and Xky for their various Keen:Vorticons mods are particularly good candidates. (Once again, feel free to debate this if you would rather we use the original sprite.)

We need to extract some Keen sprites from various mods and list them here. One can't make much of an informed decision without seeing what the options look like.

Once we figure out which sprite to use, efforts can be made to add any extra behaviours that are to be patched in, and convert his clothes to pajamas, assuming that is still the plan.
Deltamatic

Post by Deltamatic »

You're the leader. Is it still the plan?
It would add some uniqueness, but also add work.
levellass

Post by levellass »

I suggest we take a multi-pronged approach here, we could take the best frames from say LL's Keen and use that as a base for drawing a new Keen, or combining them with Doomjedi's stuff, that way we get the best of both worlds.
doomjedi

Post by doomjedi »

Can you post those other Keens? I'm new to Keen modding - and didn't play any of Vorticons mods yet. Then I'll be able to give my opinion.
lemm

Post by lemm »

I put a bunch in the dropbox.
doomjedi

Post by doomjedi »

Tulip

Post by Tulip »

I put one more in (My favourite, I think it's by Allstories)
lemm

Post by lemm »

So... is there a verdict?

We REALLY need to get the keen sprite done. It is rather central to this mod, I think you would agree. Artwork, plus agreement on what keen does:

So far, I have keen programmed to do all the normal keen stuff.
-Walk/Run/Slide on hills of any surface
-Look Up/Down
-Jump
-Pogo
-Fire (in 8 directions, it can be 4 though)
-Walk into doors when a button is pressed
-Ride Platforms (could use a cool keen5-esque platform pose)
-Turn switches on and off

There was also talk of hand-hanging, crawling, and sliding.
Deltamatic

Post by Deltamatic »

Those last three would be awesome, in my humble opinion.
Since the art is going in a Keen:Galaxy direction, we'd have to use a Keen sprite more similar to Galaxy than Vorticons.
There's been a question of whether Keen's in his normal outfit or his pajamas. I'm fine with either but now that I think about it his normal outfit is cooler.
doomjedi

Post by doomjedi »

I vote for normal outfit as well