Sounds thread

The Commander Keen Community Mod!
levellass

Sounds thread

Post by levellass »

Because someone had to do it, and I'm on a roll tonight.

First up, how do we organize this? I guess people can suggest sounds or make their own, we have Spleen's sound maker as well as the beta of KeenSound, my sequel to KeenWave. (It is buggy on Keen 4-6 stuff, but seems to work pretty well with Keen 1-3 like, including new bitmap function.)

Get KeenSound beta here: http://levellord.toxicsheep.com/KWbeta.zip

Some suggestions *I* have so far are:

* Make Keen's 'plummet' sound quieter or remove it entirely (The sound he makes when he walks of the edge of something.)
* Make a new sound either for out-of-ammo or the switches
* Change that horrible icecube smashing sound

So, ideas people?
Last edited by levellass on Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EricMushroomWilson

Throwing out a few ideas soundwise...

Post by EricMushroomWilson »

* Make Keen's walking sound on the map a little subtler/quieter. It can get a bit grating after a while.

* Perhaps a different point item-collecting sound?
levellass

Post by levellass »

I've made a sounds folder in Dropbox with the two new sounds in it and welcome comments and suggestions. We can have up to 63 different sounds for sprites, Keen and such, including the ending sequence, which I suggest can use up all our unused sound entries.
lemm

Post by lemm »

We need a bubble pop for that frog...

Also, only 63 sounds? Where is the limit set?
levellass

Post by levellass »

I haven't actually been able to find one, however when I was talking to Tom Hall on the subject he said that there was some sort of limit to 63 sounds in the older game engines. (This is the case with say Dangerous Dave.) Keen's format seems to allow for a variable number of sound entries, and I've not had any problems with it, but I do not know if there is some other limitation that I have missed. If you are sure there is not, then there probably isn't.

A bubble pop sound? I shall start work on it immediately!
lemm

Post by lemm »

Maybe a sliding on ice sound, or a slippery tiles sound?
levellass

Post by levellass »

Hmmms, what would that be like? A squeak? Something like the keen frozen sound?
lemm

Post by lemm »

I was thinking of more of a grinding sound, like a hockey player stopping, or a piece of paper being torn... at least for the ice.
levellass

Post by levellass »

Aaah, something like sssshhhhkkk! Or the crunch snow makes underfoot? That could be more difficult to do.
lemm

Post by lemm »

levellass wrote:Aaah, something like sssshhhhkkk!
Exactly :p

Hmm, what else? A snapping sound for the toothed purple creature, a sound for keen trampolining off of the cowering creature, and maybe one for keen walking through doors.
levellass

Post by levellass »

Trying out the new Keenwave. Sounds are now in basic WAV format so people can listen to them. I ahve a suggestions folder that has some misc sounds I made.

The main limit is all PC Speaker sounds are beeps, this especially limits us for hissing and popping sounds. Also, sound suggestions are better if I'm told what a sound should sound like ('A switch on sound' could be anything, 'a switch sound, something like buh-beep' is much more specific.)

I don't think I can do a slippery ice sound. If anyone knows of a PC sound from an ID game that sounds right, tell me so I can see how they managed it.

What should the going-through-doors sound sound like? Just something beepy, or something else?

Some of the sounds in the suggestions folder I'd welcome feedback on:

Bite: Some biting 'snappy' sounds, are they snappy enough?

Bounce: I have two bouncy sounds here, comments?

Bubble: I have three sounds here I want feedback on.
lemm

Post by lemm »

I general I like your shorter sounds such as bite and bounce. The longer sounds would probably get on my nerves after awhile (but would fit very nicely in Duke Nukum :p)

Slippery sound: is it possible to make static noise, like when you see no signal on the tv? Maybe you'll get a sound like the speed boost in major striker.

You could also make a longer bounce sound for the orange trampoline ape.

Doors: maybe something like a latch or a key unlocking.

I also detest "nels anderson" style sounds.