Sprite thread

The Commander Keen Community Mod!
levellass

Sprite thread

Post by levellass »

I've made this thread for submission of sprite ideas, patches and graphics. I shall *try* to keep it up-to-date, but I'm no Spleen. :)

So far we have this:

Yorp: A Gnosticus slug, patched not to jump. Some animations completed.

Garg: Unaltered

Vorticon: Unaltered

Small bot: Unaltered

Tank bot: Unaltered

Icecubes: Unaltered

Chain: Unaltered

There are a lot of things we can do with the sprites, not just graphics-wise, but also by patching. This is a small list of our options:

* We can alter the number of frames and animation speed of any sprite

* We can alter the speeds and jump heights of any sprite

* We can alter most of the behaviors, stopping a sprite doing something, or making another sprite do it

* We can make each of the four icecubes do something different, even act like a Yorp, Garg, etc

So... ideas anyone?
Mink

Post by Mink »

I think the slugs might be better as butler bots, as was suggested in the old thread. That way, they will turn around at edges of platforms, and we can use the yorp's behavior for a different sprite. You can download a test of this in game: here. I also think it might be best to redraw the slug sprite, so that we don't rip graphics from Keen 4 and so that it better fits the overall style of the mod.

I think we should also try to use as few creatures from Keen 4 as possible and create new ones instead. I like Ceilick's Baby Berkeloid as a tank bot replacement. Maybe it could even be composed of water instead of fire, like this. It would be some sort of creature that's related to the Berkeloid.
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

Yeah, that waterloid is better, since the baby berkeloid has been used already in Patchwork Mod.
levellass

Post by levellass »

Indeed, and in Keen GBC too, I think...

Sprite behavior is no problem, I can make the Butler Bot act like a Yorp easy enough (Or I can use the icecube to clone the Yorp.) The two behaviors will be distinct and independently patchable from each other, and we can insert new sprite frames if needed.
Ceilick
Deputy Administrator

Post by Ceilick »

As I don't really like my "Baby Berkeloid (and Levellass is correct that it was heavily designed after the GBC enemy) I threw together a 'Hydroloid' based on Mink's water suggestion and the Keen 4 original Berkeloid:

The "hair" is supposed to work like a water spout, but it didn't quite come out the way i wanted.
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

It looks awesome we should use it.

Maybe the garg could be replaced with a poison slug with rabies or something similar.
Mink

Post by Mink »

That looks incredible for a first draft, Ceilick; it's much nicer than the old Baby Berkeloid. It has the potential to look really good when animated.

As for the Baby Berkeloid, I didn't know that it was used in Patchwork Mod. I'll have to try that out.
Fleexy
Site Admin

Hydroloid!

Post by Fleexy »

I completed Ceilick's hydroloid (but it has a white line because I messed up the transparency and I don't know how to fix it). I tried to make what I had to redraw as 'Ceilick-y' as possible. Get the sprite files here. Somebody, fix the white line please! I tried as best as I could; I hope you like it!

--Fleexy
Kdash

Post by Kdash »

That's an awesome sprite, Ceilick. You definitely have the closest drawing style to the original games.
Ceilick
Deputy Administrator

Post by Ceilick »

Based on Fleexy's animation (I found the 'feet' things you did particularly interesting and the watery 'legs' here are a result)

This was a quick twenty minute job and I haven't tried it in game, so it's possible it looks awful. My goal was to make it look like water is 'flowing' through him without also looking electric like the Shikadi (the light cyan is supposed to be 'water viens'). Also bits of the water body are supposed to 'drip' off while he moves.
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

Great looking sprite there!
Fleexy
Site Admin

Post by Fleexy »

Just a wacky idea, I made a 'barfaloid' :^) :

http://home.mchsi.com/~bootsisbig/1SPR0098.bmp

Just something random I made; LOL.

--Fleexy
levellass

Post by levellass »

We can put it into the credit screen or something. :)

So, this hydroloid looks awesome, and there's no way we can't not include it. How do we want it to act? As I said, we can alter it to do almost anything, so we shouldn't be bound by stuff like how many animations the default sprite has and such. It'd be nice if these were totally different from the original games.

I'll have to see if I can come up with something to add her, maybe a pusher bot equivalent.
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

I'd say it definetly shoots (throws a splash of water), so I guess this is the tank bot. A cool thing would be that if you shot it I will decompose into a wad, only to reappear shortly afterwards? Is that possible?
I know that we can make a sprite show "shocked" animation and not dying.
Ceilick
Deputy Administrator

Post by Ceilick »

That is a really cool idea, Tulip. If I get some time (and if its possible to patch this way in the first place), I'll try to draw somethign where his arms and part of his head 'splash' off his body, and then regrow out of the water that composes him.