Tile Submission Thread

The Commander Keen Community Mod!
doomjedi

Post by doomjedi »

Thank you :)

But the first post is from 2003.... which is scary....7 years and not even a demo to play? Do you still believe in this mod?

Most of those people are probably not around the forum anymore....
So far only 3-4 people posted here.
There is no list of members and everything looks random and ... do we have a strong project leader for this one?
shikadi

Post by shikadi »

i think the answer to everything is no.

this was started in 2003, stopped for a long time , then restarted a few weeks/months ago, but most ppl also have their own project(s) and other things to do beside keen (like sleeping).
doomjedi

Post by doomjedi »

Heh, being a very active modder in Wolf3D modding community - I have large projects of my own too...some are worked (continuosly) since 2007. So I do things paralelly as well :)

I'm glad this is restarted :)

Being a leader of the projects I make, from my experience ,I think this need to be more organized. Call for modders, updating project members list, making a clear story thread, feature thread, detailed task lists for each member with it's role in the project, overall progress thread, level list, theme list, enemy list........
And we need a strongt project leader to superwise it all. Without all this - I don't see how someone can push such a large project forward...
Deltamatic

Post by Deltamatic »

Excellent points. Everything is too vaguely defined, partly because nobody's sure of how official something will be if they post it. There has been more than one attempt at a story thread, I think more than one attempt at a plan of action thread, but nothing is ever really locked down.
doomjedi

Post by doomjedi »

Yes...as a new member here (well...old one, who returned), I could see it "from a side"...and it looks messy, no direction...and mainly - no leader to organize it all. Just bunch of people uploading random art and story ideas.

From my experience, from my Wolf3D "Team RayCast" Development forum (and I have one of the biggest Wolf3D projects ever - developed there) - the threads need to be reorganized, team and it's roles - clearly defined and a leader for the project selected. His approve will make an idea official.

Roles:

1. Leader
2. Art
3. Music and Sounds
4. Mapping
5. Coding
6.....beta testing and such smaller roles.

One member can have more than one role, but this need to be clearly defined in new "Our Team" thread. Nicks vs roles.
If we have more than one for a role - like 2 coders, 3 mappers - 1 should be defined Head....Head Coder, Head Mapper etc...

Threads - that WORK from my experience (first priority):

1. Level Assigning/Sync Thread - List of levels, names, description, guidelines, which mapper makes which level, percentage progress on that map. All this - in the first thread, which is updated - team members should be moderators.

2. Coding Sync thread - first post is list of coding features to do - and their progress - Each task is assigned to a coder from project coders..not forced upon , but each coder can edit the post and "take tasks" - and other will know this task/feature/patch is taken by other coder. And a link to latest source, with a date. Rest of the posts - are discussion.

3. Story thread - first post will have current most updated story. The rest are story discussion and suggestions.

4. Sounds thread.

5. Tiles thread - first post always has apporved and most updated tileset. The rest of the thread is discussion and art posting

6. Sprite Thread

7. "Our Team" thread

...I like making stories....Maybe I'll make my story suggestion....though you story is good :)
Mink

Post by Mink »

That sounds like an excellent outline, Doomjedi. Lack of organization is definitely this project's main obstacle. If we do go with your hierarchy, I suggest either Spleen or Lemm for the position of main leader.

In addition to clearly defined roles, we should probably have a central location for uploading files. I think a CKFS community account would be great. Or, if we can't get in touch with Grafix (he hasn't posted in quite a while), we could use Dropbox instead. I've been using it for another project, and it works quite nicely.
Deltamatic

Post by Deltamatic »

I second Mink's Spleen vote.
Kdash

Post by Kdash »

I second Deltamatic's seconding of Mink's Spleen vote.

(...I vote for Spleen)
doomjedi

Post by doomjedi »

Great :)

Indeed, managing a very large project (with 2 coders, 2 mappers, sprite artist - all needed to by synced...) for almost 3 years now (that hopefully will be finally released in a month or two) - this is the best managing structure I came up with....formed with time.

But for this to work all project members must be moderators of "Community Mod"...at least being able to edit messages of others....mini-moderators.
If in Mapping Sync thread in the first post there is a level list - a mapper needs to be able to edit it to add his nick near a level number he is taking on himself to make (so other mappers will know it's taken and won't do double work)....etc. Because if those stuff are scattered along the thread - no progress can be done.
My method also makes it very easy for a new members to join the project, and this is very important. They will be ably to read the first posts of each thread to understand current mapping , art, and coding progress, free tasks, storyline etc....And they can already start working, taking tasks (by editing the first post) (reading the rest in their spare time)

I don't know people here, and have not much intention to be a project leader (being a leader of another large Wolf3D project) - I go with whatever leader you decide.

P.S. We can aslo embed a chatroom into a forum? I know such forum chatroom...this can speed up many discussions.
Draik

Post by Draik »

IRC, URC..... no, just IRC.

[url]irc://irc.foonetic.net/pckf[/url]
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

So are we gonna use dropbox? I can only confirm I works nicely, everyone keeps updated automatically all the time.

Edit: OK, I've seen it in the other post now, can you add me Mink?
levellass

Post by levellass »

What's this dropbox? I've been out of the loop for a while.
Deltamatic

Post by Deltamatic »

See pages 1-2 of The Plan thread for more details.
doomjedi

Post by doomjedi »

So...what about the tiles? Which themes we lack? Who is the tilemaker?
CommanderSpleen

Post by CommanderSpleen »

Tiles will be addressed once the story and map structure have been confirmed. In the meantime however, you're welcome to submit some tiles to the CKCM Dropbox. Anyone who submits tiles is a tilemaker. One person will be in charge of unifying them into individual tilesets when the time comes.

The list of projected level themes, which will probably remain as it is but is subject to change, is in the story thread.