How the Vorticon Stole Christmas

Showcase your completed mod here!
Stealthy71088

How the Vorticon Stole Christmas

Post by Stealthy71088 »

A little Christmas 1 level mod im trying to make for my brothers before Christmas. It will be much easier than universe, and im going to spend every waking moment working on it- when not on school stuff.

I managed to get a really cool looking keen sprite done. I need ideas/advice for the other sprites though. I really want to finish this before xmas, so plz post ideas.

Yorp: present thing?
Garg: perhaps a nutcracker soilder? I would like something better but...
butlerbot: a dog or rat- whats the biggest i can make this one?
guardbot: keen with gun
Vorticon:?
chain- large bulb
cannon-Not sure if i want to use. I may turn it into a constant spawner of something.

Im thinking whatever i make a present could spawn something else on death- present unwraps. But im not sure what should unwrap into what.

Im using the teleports in level patch to make a shrinker- You can shrink and climb up into christmas tree. If possible, sprites should be balanced for two world size issue

yorp: if present i suppose can be both sizes
garg: soldier should be small, but a sprite that works with both is best
butlerbot- dog or rat small only
guardbot-big only
vorticon-small or both hopefully
chain-small only
cannon:?

The teleporter is irritating acting like a vaccuum right now. I know i saw how to fix that somewhere... il check for it and let u know if i resolve that issue soon.

Whats the record for how fast a 1level mod has been modded?

Edit: found the entry about teleporters in levels. The search engine wasnt working- its times like this you really appreciate the reorganization.
But i still have a problem- I dont have the slightest clue how to convert anything to hex. Theres only going to be one teleport i think, perhaps two but i doubt it. If i post the coordinates, will u guys convert it for me?
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

Whats the record for how fast a 1level mod has been modded?
IIRK LL made one in a day.

Oh, and sounds like pretty cool mod idea! :) Good luck!
I started to think of that Jazz Jackrabbit X-mas edition when I read this topic..
If i post the coordinates, will u guys convert it for me?
Sure.
Stealthy71088

patch request for this mod

Post by Stealthy71088 »

im surprised no one has done this one already. I would like a patch that reversed your shot when it is shot to the left. For example, if you are firing rockets, the rocket wont somehow be flying backwards to the left if you shoot it left. It will fly forwards to left if you shoot it left.

If this affects the guard bot, its alright with me.
grafix

Post by grafix »

So basically you want to flip the shot sprite when it turns left?
Stealthy71088

Post by Stealthy71088 »

That is correct Grafix.

Also, Ive decided to turn the butlerbot into a giant rat. How big can i make it? without it acting weird?

I have to check the patch index, but in case its not there, i would like a garg to spawn a yorp on death.

Thanks a bunch of candy canes.

Stealthy
levellord
Crazy pAtChEr

Post by levellord »

Sadly, flipping sprites is impossible in all the Keen games. However, it may be possible to use a different sprite for when Keen shoots left. I have looked into this several times, but without success.
Stealthy71088

Post by Stealthy71088 »

I can live without it. Thanx anyways.

How about a patch that once a garg is shot, it turns into a yorp? I checked the index, and theres a patch like this for a vorticon into a yorp already, and anything can spawn a dead yorp. < I need this a lot more than bellow.

also a patch that makes the butlerbot require 6 or 8 shots to kill would be nice too.

Thnx. Stealthy

Edit: Butlerbot wont kill, and ive tried both patches listed in the index.

My garg won't charge. I suspect its due to the height change of the keen sprite. So i looked up the appropriate patch, and found the difference between Keen's height and the garg's height (by measuring the pink blocks) to be 3 pixels. I tried putting in $03, but it didnt work, so it obviously needs to be in hex. :( can anyone translate that for me into hex?

I went throught the index and discovered a patch that turned a garg into anything, but its a function- i dont know wht number to put where to get it to turn into a yorp on death. If possible, could this be further modified ([sarcastically] look how nice I am [/sarcastically]) so the garg drops its own death sprite and a yorp? If that isnt possible its okay, but otherwise I think it would be cool having my presents unwrap themselves.
levellord
Crazy pAtChEr

Post by levellord »

1.) Blast! If only I had the time!

2.) Damn! I know there's a way to do that!

3.) By all indications, this should work; if it doesn't for you, I don't know why.

Code: Select all

#Butler bot kills
%patch $1782  $03 $00
4.) In hex 3 is 3. However, is Keen or the Garg taller? Also:
#Gargs anywhere will charge toward Keen after lokking around
#[Don't check if Garg can see Keen before charging]
%patch $1B93 $90 $90 $90 $90 $90 $90
5.) It is impossible for a sprite in Keen 1 to spawn two sprites; this rules out unwrapping presents. [Sorry]
Stealthy71088

Post by Stealthy71088 »

I cant try the garg patch tonight, but tomorrow hopefully. Keen is larger by 3 pixels.

Likewise with the butlerbot patch. I wonder though... if the kill is garg kill, and i cant get my garg to charge... could they be linked? I tried some other butlerbot patches too, just to see what would happen. For instance, there is one in which whenever 2 butlerbots collide, keen will freeze or die ( think of the possibilities in terms of time effects. just add a speed patch and a one way tile and presto- instant level timer.) But the game acted as if i put a # in front of the patch. (which i didnt) Im thinking about looking over oracle janitor 1 which uses the patch if it still doesnt work and see whats different.

If the gargs dont unwrap yorps (which is really too bad) I have a garg death sprite which unwraps, although theres nothing in there. So worst comes to worst i guess its ok. Seriously though if anyone who likes patching who thinks they have the time is willing to do that for me, that would be awesome.

The butlerbot patch is nice too, but its not nearly as wanted as the other one.
levellord
Crazy pAtChEr

Post by levellord »

Well, I tell you this; the Garg unwrap patch is impossible; you'd be better off making the zap/zot sprites unwrapping.

By freeze Keen do you mean?

# Make butler bot freeze Keen when colliding. 
%patch $1782 $0F $00 
Note that this will overide its pushing ability and its killingness.
levellord
Crazy pAtChEr

Post by levellord »

Yo!

Would you like me to make you a patch so you can shoot the dead garg/youp/vort and make them another dead sprite [dead vort shot = dead yorp say] or dissapear?
Stealthy71088

Post by Stealthy71088 »

hmmm... a yorp won't work here, but a dead vorticon... that'll do nicely.

If you shoot a dead garg you get a dead vort would be great.

On a more alarming note: MY SPRITES HAVE BEEN CORRUPTED

THe butlerbot sprite was too big- it was acting normal, besides resisting all the butlerbot patches i was putting on it- including the butlerbot's freeze patch (which i did misunderstand, sorry) but it was blinking, and the "purdy" pink box was appearing mixed in with the sprite and all sorts of things. Anyways, I made the sprite smaller, imported with modkeen, and what happens butt ALL the sprites are corrupted. ALL of their grapics are now swirlly, you can sorta see the sprite inside it- but the colors are so weird its difficult. Directly outside the sprite has weird colors too- sorta like what happens if you multicolor the sillouette and the background. The colors stay the same- the frames arent randomly generated.

I assumed egasprit and egahead were corrupted, so i removed them and put in a copy of the egasprits and egaheads from another game. I checked- and the sprites were fine now, just from another game. Then i imported again and... They were corrupted again.

I dont get it. All i did was made the butlerbot sprite smaller- 34 pixel height and 56 pixel length. The total sprite's length is (56 x 3 = 168 which is divisible by 24)168 pixels. I dont understand how that could have corrupted all of them. Can you guys give me advice on how to fix it? We celebrate xmas tomorrow, so i was planning on finishing it tonight. :(
levellord
Crazy pAtChEr

Post by levellord »

1.) ALWAYS keep a backup of your last modification; Modkeen can be made to make .BAK files for this.

2.) If its screwed up now, copy the sprite PICTURES into another folder labeled' 'screwed' and replace the butler bot ONLY with the origional and import; your sprites should now work since the BB is the problem Now the BB is back to the origional

Now replace the first BB picture [not the whole thing!] and import again. If the sprites are screwed up you know its something in the FIRST picture trhat is wrong.

If the sprites are fine, do the second picture, and so on. Eventually you'll find which picture is causing the problem [Or maybe all of them are] Then you rezize and fiddle it until it works.

3.) If all fails, send me the EGASprites file and I'll see what I can do.
levellord
Crazy pAtChEr

Post by levellord »

And here's the patch yopu wanted:

#Dead Garg shootable, you get a dead Vort
%patch $1BFA $6E $1D
And maybe this...

#Dead Vort is destroyed when shot
%patch $1DA8 $49 $48
Stealthy71088

Post by Stealthy71088 »

awesome LL

I figured out how to fix the corruption and fixed later that day. I got most of the work done, except for the level itself, the vorticon sprite, the patches you just gave me, a quarter of the menus, half the story, and the ending.

Unfortunately, when i tried to show off what i had done, the sprites got corrupted again. I suspect its butler- because i didnt change anything else, but i can do a process of elimination by dividing everything by 2 constantly if necessary.
No idea when itl be done- but itl take a little bit. Someone asked me to do a proffessional powerpoint presentation for them, so il prolly have to spend some time i would working on the game working on that.[/i]