Keen 3 mod: Episode -

Showcase your completed mod here!
XkyRauh

Keen 3 mod: Episode -

Post by XkyRauh »

Alright everybody, it's time for the third episode in the XkyKeen series: Episode Dash!
  • It had been a long, long time since Mortimer had dropped any hints about his plans. Keen had already disabled ships, solved other races problems, and explored new territory--but all of the information he gathered pointed to what he already knew: Whatever it was Mortimer had in mind for the Universe, it hadn't come to fruition yet. So Keen decided to use the Photachyon Tranciever for something new...
Distribution is identical to XkyKeen2's circumstances; you will need to provide your own UNLZEXE'ed copy of Keen3.exe to play this mod. UNLZEXE.exe has been included in the archive to make your life a little easier.

Here's the latest version:
Get it from Xky's Angelfire hosting!
Or get it from Andy Durdin's Keen:Modding hosting!
Or get it from KeenRush's KeenGrid!

Let's get some feedback!

The ending sequence sometimes messes up and places 2 nonsense tiles in front of Keen and the Optiquat in the screen where the Vorticon King normally makes his speech. For best results, shoot the last part while standing on the rather-obvious rock tile. You'll know what I mean when you get there--just be sure you're standing on it when you fire your last shot, and stay there until the screen fades away. When I was playtesting, this method always worked glitch-free. Otherwise some minor graphical glitches may occur--doesn't ruin anything completely, but it can be distracting. Especially since my last level is tricky, and it'd be a shame to ruin all your hard work! ;-)

--Xky

• Note: There are spoilers further down in this thread--if you don't want to see stuff ahead of time, don't scroll down! ;-)
Last edited by XkyRauh on Sun Oct 24, 2004 12:14 am, edited 7 times in total.
adurdin
Site Founder

Post by adurdin »

Damn you Xky! I've got an exam this afternoon that I should be studying for... :)
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

Woha woha woha woha woha woha woha woha woha woha woha..
This night will rock! I'll go playing! :D
Stickmanofdoom

Post by Stickmanofdoom »

WOW! I never expected the mod to be out this early.
I have only played through a few levels so far, and I must say the timing aspect changes the game completly! The game is a lot more tense and works well with the crazy graphics style. The sprites all look really great, especially the cloud effect, nice touch. The meep replacement cracks me up and vortikid replacement is genious! I have got to get back to playing thie mod now! Thank-you Xky!!!
XkyRauh

re: replacements

Post by XkyRauh »

Vortikid replacement? You shouldn't see those until level 12! You're either fast or just skipping around... ;-)

--Xky
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

Something. Never. Seen. Before..

ROX!!!!!! Yeah!
I'm in level 5 now, see you later.

Man, this mod has awesome stuff.. This is genius!
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

It's super!

I played the thing now.. Woah.

Awesome ending!

Volcano stuff, awesome!

Great h4xx adurdin!

Truly amazing stuff, Xky. I love this mod!

Next time I gotta try with that harder option. :)

Level 5 was the hardest of the levels!
XkyRauh

re: difficulty

Post by XkyRauh »

If I could go back in time to just before I released this, I'd switch levels 5 and 15... oh well. What's done is done. :-) Try and beat it on hard, KeenRush--the Volcano level is merciless!

My favorite level was level6... but 13's nice, too.

Yay, KeenRush! I knew you'd be the first to see the ending... :-D Did you recognize everyone?

--Xky
Ezjay

Post by Ezjay »

Well that came unexpected...

!

!!!

I love this - like I knew I would.

I like how you implemented the High scores in the story - I always felt like there should be something to make keeners compete with each other.
Love the timer adurdin! Like nothing we saw before.

whatever imma play some more
levellord
Crazy pAtChEr

Post by levellord »

Revolutionary.
grelphy

Post by grelphy »

Alright, I like the last couple of levels!

(I hadn't actually played them until now, but *shhhh* you didn't hear that!)

The atmosphere created by all that dithering (gaah!) is really the best part of this game. It is an atmosphere unlike any in any other EGA game I've ever seen; a feeling of rough outdoorseyness. Despite the forest, I end up feeling that this planet is mostly big, open plains. Truly an awesome job!
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

^ Agree with every post!
Yay, KeenRush! I knew you'd be the first to see the ending... :-D Did you recognize everyone?
Hehe, yah! :) Very well done.

I shall try with harder tomorrow.. And update my Keen site. ;)
Quirky Moron

Post by Quirky Moron »

let's see... In the end there is a blooguard, a vorticon, a garg, a shikadi master, bazooka wowbager, an orbatrix the garg replacement for trgc and Yorpius II, a naryln the yorp/garg replacement for tsfs, a fleex, a lilb, the vorticon replacement for ckmb and the pmod, an exo-matik, the council page, a y.o.r.p. (I think that's what it's called), and something else which I don't know what it is, but it looks like a square garg with one eye.

Edit: I missed the yorp replacement from tlm. Ooops!
XkyRauh

re: square

Post by XkyRauh »

Spoiler:

Alright, from left to right, we've got:

Bazooka Wowbagger from Savior of Paperface by Paperface (lower left, to the side of the bandstand)
Synchronian from Search for the Sentinel by Kohntarkosz (red guy with 4 arms)
Orbatrix from Aliens ate my Babysitter by ID Software (blue flying eye)
Maintenence Droid from Episode X by XkyRauh (glass bulb below Synchronian)
Exo-Matik from Lego Keen by Ilsoap (in camoflauge with blue exo-hands)
Narln from Episode Null by XkyRauh (light grey seal in overalls)
Vorticon Grunt from Invasion of the Vorticons by ID Software (teal dog in red)
Fleex from Aliens ate my Babysitter by ID Software (cyan guy with 5 eyes and yellow teeth)
Blooguard from Aliens ate my Babysitter by ID Software (green one-eye with club)
Gnarb from Vanished to Venus by Benvolio (one-eyed square with teeth)
Shikadi from The Armaggedon Machine by ID Software (translucent fella with the smirk)
Council Page from Secret of the Oracle by ID Software (green eyed guy in yellow)
Garg from Marooned on Mars by ID Software (should be obvious)
Ghyrockian from The Last Moon by Dylan Gallagher (blue dome-shaped head)
Blue Monk (name?) from Monky Business: An Essence of Mayhem beta by CommanderSpleen (blue robey dude)
Ancient Beast (no name) from Yorphius II by KeenRush (pink guy with no eyes)
Mouth Monster (name?) from the Patchwork Mod by the CK Community and assembled by LevelLord (creepy mouth next to the Ghyrockian)
Lilb from ShadowKeen2 by LevelLord (red jelly-doll next to the Ancient Beast)
Putie (not sure) from Four Golden Crystals by Unfleexable (yellow smile with cyan body)

and of course Commander Keen, who brings the total up to 20 characters. Whoo!

Thanks to all those mod authors for letting me borrow them for that end-screen. Took me 3 days to assemble... I'm particularly proud of the translucent effect I got on the Shikadi. You can see the Temple Page's feet and part of the Garg and Gnarb through him! :-)

--Xky
Last edited by XkyRauh on Sat Oct 23, 2004 12:52 am, edited 7 times in total.
Quirky Moron

Post by Quirky Moron »

...and don't forget the maintenance droids from XkyKeen1, in front of the Synchronian from Search for the Sentinel.
Actually, I thought that there was a similar looking yorp replacement in keeny, which I got confused with the keenx replacement. My score of remebering is 17/19. (why did I post that?)