Keen 8: Dead in the Desert

Showcase your completed mod here!
Ceilick
Deputy Administrator

Post by Ceilick »

Originally I had wanted to make the cactus stop doing the 'search', but the problem is it reduces the enemy to a strict "follow keen" behavior which is a real cramp for level design. Perhaps shortening the 'search' time would do the trick.

When I get around to updating the game, I'll see what I can do about making these two a bit more fearsome; more shots, shorter search time, increase stomp rate :) (and some extra ammo for xky ;)
levellass

Post by levellass »

had to pogo OVER a big cactus and make a run for it, in one of the earlier levels... I completely ran out of ammo!
You violent male you, I tried to save as much ammo as possible, by the end on hard I had 235 shots.

It should be possible to alter the randomness of things easily too, making the stompers stomp more often and such. A re-release would be most interesting.
The Shifted One

Post by The Shifted One »

More randomness on the nose enemy would certainly make it more interesting too.
Right now its so predictable I dont think Ive ever been killed by it :P
XkyRauh

Post by XkyRauh »

levellass wrote:
had to pogo OVER a big cactus and make a run for it, in one of the earlier levels... I completely ran out of ammo!
You violent male you, I tried to save as much ammo as possible, by the end on hard I had 235 shots.
If I were to play through a second time, or save more frequently, I'd likely attain the same result. Because of my slower reflexes (I've been blitzed by enemies rushing onscreen too frequently to count) I'll often be overcautious and shoot off-screen if I think something's coming. :)
Kdash

Post by Kdash »

I saved often and only used ammo on enemies (if I wasted a shot, I'd reload the last save game)
I managed to have a decent amount of ammo, even on hard mode.
Benvolio

Post by Benvolio »

The old keen6 shoot-down and land on it trick is quite fun in this mod too i must say!, especially in the tall levels! yeah ammo is relatively plentiful i must say!
levellass

Post by levellass »

Hmmn, there's a point, should the magic bullet trick be removed?
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

I finally completed the mod. My favorite enemies were the Mirbot (very cute) and the Squib.
Yes, there surely is enough ammo, once I got past the desert I had about 80 shots, then rising till the end.
The ending is very short indeed, but the Keen 6 ending is too, isn't it?

I liked the graphics most in that Hydro Palace.
Benvolio

Commander Keen in: "Bullet Time"!!

Post by Benvolio »

should the magic bullet trick be removed
ah no it's magical things like that, and the impossible pogo (which i seem to find incredibly easy most of the time for some reason), that make keen magical.

though i envisage a mod where the magic bullet trick is central to gameplay, and the ammo required is a limited resource... that would be neat! there's an idea for keen9... Commander Keen in: "Ride the Lightning".
or not.
CommanderSpleen

Post by CommanderSpleen »

Hmm. It is only a Keen 6 'feature', but since, IIRK, it's a sprite property error, it should be replicable in Keen 4 and 5. It would certainly be a nifty mod concept, but I doubt it'd fit into Ceilicl's plans.
levellass

Post by levellass »

Actually, it's kinda intriguing, but do you think the trick is simple enough to be used by keen newbies? If it is, it's a tempting idea. For a minimod at least.
CommanderSpleen

Alternative--but slightly more challenging--routes could be provided for those who are yet to master the trick.
levellass

Post by levellass »

And what would replace something to stun enemies? The pink shots? It could be done, Keen would need to lead enemies to the guns to dispose of them.
CommanderSpleen

Maybe enemies could be made to be stompable, Mario style?
levellass

Post by levellass »

Difficult to patch though; possibly impossible. I've knocked up an infinite pogo high jump height patch that could be used instead. I'm warming to this idea.