New Mod: Onward: Silcar

Showcase your completed mod here!
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

If you can get it all done by tomorrow, that's great, but please do not hurry too much, nothing's worse than bugs that could have been fixed with enough testing and such. Test everything throughoutly!! No matter if it takes a few days more.

As for bridge switch changing, you have to use tile 480 (with 'switch on' property) and tile 493 (with 'switch off' property).

Edit: Oh, and can't wait to get playing it. :)
Tulip

There it is...

Post by Tulip »

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?ikxpcudszs3

Feel free to download, play and spread this.
Any comments on my work will be welcome, I could use all of them for my next mod.

Have fun playing this. It's not intended to be a hard mod, so I hope it's not too easy for you.

P.S.: The Switch is fixed, thanks KeenRush.
Last edited by Tulip on Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shikadi314
Location: The Universe,Milky Way,Solar System, Earth,Europe,United Kingdom,England

Post by shikadi314 »

I'm downloading it now,feedback should be posted soon.
Edit:For some reason I can't enter into any levels.
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

I've tried it, and I can't see any problem.
You should enter the first mushrooms through the lower tile, though.

While testing it I discovered a minor graphic mistake on the sga sign. If there is any major error I will correct all the of it together and then post a new version.

TULIP
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

Strange thing, I can't enter any levels either!
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

I don't know what's happended to your versions,
But I downloaded it myself, and its working fine.

I hope it's any help to you, in a second I uploaded a 1.1 version here:

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?ikxpcudszs3

If that one isn't working either for you I don't know what I should do.

TULIP
Last edited by Tulip on Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
OmniKeen

Post by OmniKeen »

I believe you have to use D instead of ctrl and S instead of alt. That should solve everyone's problems.

Great mod, btw.

[/lurk]
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

Ah, damn, this is not the first time I haven't noticed the keys have been changed. :) Luckily they can be changed back easily. Looking great, just got playing...
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

My mistake,

I'm so used to the keys D and S that I didn't even notice I changed them.

Sorry for any inconvenience caused.

TULIP
Stealthy71088

Post by Stealthy71088 »

I've only played a little bit, but so far:

Graphics: I really like your graphics, they are very beautiful. You can definitely animate with the best of them. Your sprites are very impressive.

Level design:

The positive: I can tell you started with the original levels and redid them, but overtime you seem to get much more independent. At any rate, I like what you redid, you changed enough to make it interesting, and left enough to add a bit of pleasant nostalgia.

The difficulty so far seems about right. It's a little harder than some other mods, but not so difficult as to be frusterating.

The negative: That's a very steep learning curve. You throw a lot at the player right off the start of the first level. If you've played keen 1 before its not that bad, but if you haven't then the level is a lot to swallow in a short period of time.

I haven't seen enough yet to make any more comments, but rest assured I will leave a more complete review later. ;)
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

Alright, just finished it! Have to say this mod was really good! I really liked the graphics, there were many themes, and they were mixed in the levels, I really like the jumbled, old-skool level style you have; all kinds of tiles in one level, and it all works, and some of those levels are huge, I wish I could do that airy level style, my levels are always twisting maze chambers with at least 2-tiles thick walls. :) The sprites were great, I really liked the butler bot replacement! And some of those danger tiles, especially the ones that looked like mixture of crabs and tin cans, they were great! The tea set was a fun idea and looked cool as well. Great work for a first mod! Very nice surprise to get a decent mod out of nowhere, all of a sudden.

You should post about this at PCKF, too.
levellass

Post by levellass »

Never include the configuration or scores files, they write themselves :)

This is indeed an 'old school' feeling mod, harking back to the early days of Keen, when graphics were EGA or nothing. I haven't the time for more than a cursory look at the moment, but I like what I see, good work!
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

Stealthy71088 wrote:
The positive: I can tell you started with the original levels and redid them, but overtime you seem to get much more independent. At any rate, I like what you redid, you changed enough to make it interesting, and left enough to add a bit of pleasant nostalgia.

The negative: That's a very steep learning curve. You throw a lot at the player right off the start of the first level. If you've played keen 1 before its not that bad, but if you haven't then the level is a lot to swallow in a short period of time.
The first level is kind of a special thing, after all it was the first levelmodding i ever did. but somehow while building the mod this first level was lost, and so i had to rebuild it, and I didn't like building it again, so it stayed pretty similar to the original first level of keen 1.
I never realized that the first level is hard. But you're right my learning curve is steep, i realized that the level I found hardest to play is level 3!
I haven't seen enough yet to make any more comments, but rest assured I will leave a more complete review later. ;)
I'm looking forward to your detailed review. Thank you for the comments.

By the way, thanks to KeenRush. I loved your style of level building in Yorphius II, it was unique. If your two other mods weren't so damn hard I think I would have enjoyed them as much as the first one.
levellass

Post by levellass »

Well now, I have finnished the mod, where to start?

Levels: There are indeed examples of retilng in your earlier levels, but these rapidly become more individual, and indeed, much larger. The biggest criticism I have of your levels is that especially the latter ones tend to be gigantic games of jump around, with large areas of blank spaces, platform mashes and 'ping-pong' back-and-forthness. However, this may be more a matter of taste than anything.

The levels have a deceptively old-school feel about them, not quite what Id would have made had they done Keen over, but certainly in a similar vein. You take a lot of what gives Keen 1 its charm, then write it large.

There were a few graphical glitches in the levels, but nothing lethal to mod completion.

Graphics: Again we have a mix of the old and the new, with many tiles being simply recolored, or remaining unaltered, while others are of a simple design and still others are a unique creation or surprising rehash of a theme (Such as your small blocks and slippery tiles.)

The items are nicely detailed and colorful and you try your best to use these tiles to build levels on a theme, or to create an atmosphere. In the enemy department I am very impressed with your replacement sprites; indeed I may have to steal them. They're cute and colorful and nonthematic and possibly the best part of the mod to enjoy.

The ending screen and title were well drawn in a unique style, almost pastelly.

Storyline: It seems this was a bit rushed, since, although you managed to cover all your bases (Story, help text, finale, etc.) you made quite a few spelling mistakes, this is most notable in the ending sequence where you had some odd spacings, strange sentences and misspelled words. It was actually quite a pity to get such an ending after such a nice set of levels.

The story itself was presentable and had an interesting premise, though it is a pity it follows the original 'four things are missing, go find them' plot of Keen 1. A lot could have been done with this, and I think overall the story is the weakest part of your mod, next time, try spending a bit more time on it, or maybe even asking for suggestions. Definitely proof read it first.

Patching: Good for a begginner, simple and functional. Not enough to change the gameplay in much sense, but you're starting out and there's a lot to be done out there.

Overall: A good mod. Not a world changer, but definitely entertaining. If you make another like it, it will not be a sad thing, but I hope that your next creation will be even bigger and better than this. You show a lot of potential, and certainly a lot more than I showed at your age.

5/10

(I do not mean to be mean with this score, but I use the proper 1-10 scale, not the 6-9 scale you seem to see everywhere, where the most godawful things get more than 50% of the possible score. It's insane!)
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

levellass wrote: Levels: There are indeed examples of retilng in your earlier levels, but these rapidly become more individual, and indeed, much larger. The biggest criticism I have of your levels is that especially the latter ones tend to be gigantic games of jump around, with large areas of blank spaces, platform mashes and 'ping-pong' back-and-forthness. However, this may be more a matter of taste than anything.
Well I think you're right about the ping-ponging and I think it's because often I didn't have a clue where to go with the level. I'm actually more a fan of small levels.
levellass wrote: Graphics: Again we have a mix of the old and the new, with many tiles being simply recolored, or remaining unaltered, while others are of a simple design and still others are a unique creation or surprising rehash of a theme (Such as your small blocks and slippery tiles.)
The graphics are partly as old as Keen itself, started as a drawing when I was a Kid, and about 8 years ago I started to convert some of my drawn levels to computer graphics. Anyway I just wanted to use them.
levellass wrote: The items are nicely detailed and colorful and you try your best to use these tiles to build levels on a theme, or to create an atmosphere. In the enemy department I am very impressed with your replacement sprites; indeed I may have to steal them. They're cute and colorful and nonthematic and possibly the best part of the mod to enjoy.
These are old, old as well, and I've painted them a lot of times through my school time.
levellass wrote: The ending screen and title were well drawn in a unique style, almost pastelly.
They were actually just pencil drawings scanned and converted to the 16 colour palette.
levellass wrote: Storyline: It seems this was a bit rushed, since, although you managed to cover all your bases (Story, help text, finale, etc.) you made quite a few spelling mistakes, this is most notable in the ending sequence where you had some odd spacings, strange sentences and misspelled words. It was actually quite a pity to get such an ending after such a nice set of levels.
You're right, but that's always my problem. When I get back works from my professors, they always tell me to work on that too.

The story itself was presentable and had an interesting premise, though it is a pity it follows the original 'four things are missing, go find them' plot of Keen 1. A lot could have been done with this, and I think overall the story is the weakest part of your mod, next time, try spending a bit more time on it, or maybe even asking for suggestions.[/quote]

I may take that offer, especially as I'm not a native english speaker.
levellass wrote: Patching: Good for a begginner, simple and functional. Not enough to change the gameplay in much sense, but you're starting out and there's a lot to be done out there.
Well I'm not a programming kind of person, and I generally hate mods that aren't working well, because of buggy patching. But I know what you mean, and I'll see what I can do in my next mod
levellass wrote: Overall: A good mod. Not a world changer, but definitely entertaining. If you make another like it, it will not be a sad thing, but I hope that your next creation will be even bigger and better than this.
I doubt bigger, but hopefully better...
levellass wrote: You show a lot of potential, and certainly a lot more than I showed at your age.
I thought I was really old...
levellass wrote: 5/10
That's what I would have given it too.

Thanks for your comments. You may be glad to hear that my second mod I already growing on my computer, and I already made some patching...
First I wanted the second part to be a Keen 5 mod but I had so much trouble with replacing the original levels that I decided to let it rest, and do a Keen 2 mod first.