Livening up K:M

Anything related to Keen Modding.
ckguy

Livening up K:M

Post by ckguy »

So, I was thinking today about what could be done to liven up Keen: Modding, but I couldn't think of anything significant. But I did think of this:

Image!!! EMOTIKEENS !!!Image

That's right! I've created a semi-easy way for you to include your favorite PCKF emotikeens right here in Keen: Modding! Image It's called ... classicgaming.com allows image hotlinking! Image

So pop on over to an html file I uploaded and get ready to Image with all your friends here at Keen: Modding. Emote till you're Image! Have a Imageing great time!

Edit: And don't tell anyone over at the PCKF - they'd be Image!
levellass

Post by levellass »

Slightly cumbersome, but a great advance in keening this place up a bit.

ckguy

Post by ckguy »

New stripped-down and optimized version uploaded, slightly smaller html file (1,218 bytes instead of 1,888). And, uh, yeah. Take a peek at the html source if you're interested - I stuck all of the emotikeen names into an array. There are two types of array entries. For about half of the emotikeens, the filename is emotikeen-blah.gif and the name is :blah, so these are represented as an entry of "blah". However, other emotikeens have filename emotikeen-blah.gif and name :blee, and these are represented as ":blee=blah". (To tell you the truth, I've been fiddling with this thing for waaaay too long. Image)

Edit: Even smaller version: 1,008 bytes - under 1k! Image Let's turn this into a competition - who can get it the smallest without losing functionality? Image

Image EMOTIKEENS ON K:M - YOU KNOW YOU WANT THEM Image
XkyRauh

Post by XkyRauh »

I've never been a fan of emoticons... And evidently Andy isn't even a fan of avatars. I vote no to this whole ordeal. :) Sorry guys.
ckguy

Post by ckguy »

Boo, deputy administrator, boo! I'm going over your head ... as in waiting to see what Andrew says ...

And hopefully people over here are more mature and don't emoti-flood their posts. Anyway I thought it sounded like a cute little addition.
Kdash

Post by Kdash »

Emoticons would be fun, but I think they'd also make the forums seem less mature. A lot of the topics are about codes and stuff... I don't think putting tons of animated smilies would fit.
Of course, I don't really care. I just use whatever is available. :-) Image
levellass

Post by levellass »

A lot of the topics are about codes and stuff... I don't think putting tons of animated smilies would fit.
Emoticodes anyone? :nop? :jump? The possibilities are endless. Besides, I don't think the emotikeens are *that* immature, and they do add a bit of color to the place. Certainly I shall be using this on several other forums, since it seems to work on all php.
ckguy

Post by ckguy »

Image Image Image

I like to think of myself as very mature.

(I can feel this thread getting out of control, and it's pretty much my fault.)

[Edit:] Actually, maybe that's not a bad thing. We can have one thread of people going out of control, and people can go there to get it out of their system, and then the rest of the forum will be calmer.

[Edit again:] And by "people" going out of control, I kind of mean "me", LOL.
levellass

Post by levellass »

I don't think that would work, or be necessary; K:M has always been more of a resource than a chatroom, it's a place for serious discussion and asking questions. Emotikeens would liven it up, but that'd be about the limit of it IMKO.
ckguy

Post by ckguy »

Yeah, well - I'd just downloaded a program to make Magic cards and I needed to use it for something. If anything, I should probably bring this over to the PCKF, shouldn't I?

All right, I think I'm all better now.
levellass

Post by levellass »

Really? What program is this? We should make a collection of Keen cards, it would be very droll.
adurdin
Site Founder

Post by adurdin »

XkyRauh wrote:I've never been a fan of emoticons... And evidently Andy isn't even a fan of avatars. I vote no to this whole ordeal. :) Sorry guys.
CK Guy wrote:Boo, deputy administrator, boo! I'm going over your head ... as in waiting to see what Andrew says ...
Why do you think I asked Xky to be a deputy admin? It's cause we agree on the really really important things in life, like emoticons. Image

Yeah no, I hate graphical emoticons generally and animated ones especially. Old-skool text only emoticons on K:M, please :-)
adurdin
Site Founder

Post by adurdin »

CK Guy wrote:We can have one thread of people going out of control, and people can go there to get it out of their system, and then the rest of the forum will be calmer.
K:M was always meant to by a dry, dusty, boring place where no one had any fun, particularly in the "general" forum. Sorry, but if it looks like you're trying to enjoy yourself a bit, I'm going to have to ban you ;-)

But seriously, Magic: The Keening -- that's a topic that definitely belongs on the PCKF rather than here.
Shadow Master

Post by Shadow Master »

EVEN I am here from time to time... to rest from my moderator duties in other forum and see peaceful plain text.

I come for my bimonthly visit and find this crap.
Shadow Master, in the Public Commander Keen Forum wrote:I can't believe KE (KeenEmpire) didn't notice it... (the existence of K:M)

It's quite silent, but that's because it is not a chat place as these forums, just a patch and modding tools/information library.

So don't interrupt the sacred silence of Keen: Modding. Please.
As you can see, I love these forums because of their quietness.

Locked.

Ouch. I'm not developer here, can't moderate here.
ckguy

Post by ckguy »

All right, sorry, guys, sorry. I was really bored.

I'll get on to real Keen modding again -- look at that de-Carmack code Andy posted, try to work on my Keen 4-6 editor (which I haven't done in a while).

But before all that can happen, I have an essay due tomorrow, which I'm about 1/10th done, so I need to get on that.

All craziness kept to the PCKF from now on.