Keen 3 Level Patch Project

Anything related to Keen Modding.

How many levels do you think should be required?

Poll ended at Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:11 am

40%
20%
40%

Total votes: 5

Bitemaster

Keen 3 Level Patch Project

Post by Bitemaster »

EDIT: The votes currently on this poll will count. However, for all further votes, please vote with this topic on PCKF (as I have realized that most everyone here has an account on PCKF).

Hi y'all,

Keen 3 level design was rushed, as I'm sure most of you know. With only 3 levels required, it got me thinking... what if more levels were marked? It certainly seems like you can walk through a lot of levels on the world map that are right in front of teleporters.

Also the "Hal's Kitchen" level needs some work, as a lot of areas are inaccessible and the "Caves of Oblivion" is also unwinnable in the "real" way. There is some evidence that the latter may be intentional though.

Someone may have done this already, but for practice I'd like to make my own level patch for Keen 3.

This project will include 2 polls, polling the PCKF for how many levels should be required and which ones they should be, respectively.

Your input is very welcome!
Last edited by Bitemaster on Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:55 am, edited 4 times in total.
Benvolio

Post by Benvolio »

I don't know the names of the levels of Keen3 well enough to comment on which ones should be required but I definitely think that even having ten mandatory levels would make it a very lightweight game compared to the rest of the Keen franchise let alone most significant games of the past two and a half decades.
Bitemaster

Post by Bitemaster »

Never fear, you can study up here!: http://www.shikadi.net/keenwiki/Keen_3_Levels

And, strictly speaking, Keen 1 only has 6 mandatory levels. Keen 2 has 10, I believe.

Technically, though, Keen 3 has 3 levels required going one path, 4 going another path. Only 3 are absolutely mandatory though.

I kind of like the idea of taking two different paths to get to the Grand Intellect's Castle. I think they likely would have continued those two paths had they not run out of time.

However, the idea is to vote on levels that are never required (these come to 11, 10 without the secret level, which won't be made mandatory) and arrange it so that no matter which path you take, you have to complete at least X [the poll number] of levels to finish the game.