to Fleexy. a problem with Bio Menace 3

Anything related to Keen Modding.
reble

to Fleexy. a problem with Bio Menace 3

Post by reble »

I am using a new/used laptop, an Acer Aspire 5749 OS Win7 Home 32bit temporarily until I can buy an other one. The Gateway's power regulator gave out.
Anyways I installed Bio Menace 3 from the backup cd and did my normal changes that I do. But this time I am having a problem with level 5 the armory (level 6 in the game). When I complete level 4 goliath (level 5 in the game). Or use the warp cheat to jump to level 5 the armory (level 6 in the game) The Whole game crashes. See the 1st Dropbox picture https://www.dropbox.com/s/bgn6n12d0jz25 ... e.jpg?dl=0 . I can use the warp cheat to jump past the armory level and keep on playing. The next picture shows the only change that I made to the armory level. https://www.dropbox.com/s/gpa90ujunmt0w ... y.jpg?dl=0 The only change I made is circled in bold red. I made the same change in the other levels and they work fine.

OOO by the way the armory level plays just fine without the change. I must be doing something wrong.

Steve
Nospike

Post by Nospike »

I've never played BM3, but is this a large level? No free spots in objarray usually means too many sprites. It seems unlikely that adding one sprite would crash the game but what do I know, it's possible.
Fleexy
Site Admin

Post by Fleexy »

Nospike is right; that error always indicates that the game can't handle the amount of sprites. Try removing one or two other things. Perhaps Bio Menace was tuned to have just the maximum amount of sprites.

Speculation: It's possible that, like Keen Dreams, Bio Menace might for a brief moment have both levels loaded when it's switching levels. In that case, removing sprites from either the starting level or the target level would help.
reble

a problem with Bio Menace 3

Post by reble »

I have made this changes in the past. Putting this 1 extra sprite at the start of each level and I haven't had this problem in the past. I don't understand why it is acting up now. By the way with the extra sprite removed the armory level works fine.

Steve
Fleexy wrote:Nospike is right; that error always indicates that the game can't handle the amount of sprites. Try removing one or two other things. Perhaps Bio Menace was tuned to have just the maximum amount of sprites.

Speculation: It's possible that, like Keen Dreams, Bio Menace might for a brief moment have both levels loaded when it's switching levels. In that case, removing sprites from either the starting level or the target level would help.
reble

a problem with Bio Menace 3

Post by reble »

Fleexy Nospike hit the nail smack dab on the head. Apparently this wasn't an unmodified version. When I modify a prog or a game. I try to keep an unmodified version around in case I screw up. Apparently I was trying to modify a version that was already modified. And as noted the game metrics can only handle a limited number of changes without squawking. Problem solved.
Fleexy wrote:Nospike is right; that error always indicates that the game can't handle the amount of sprites. Try removing one or two other things. Perhaps Bio Menace was tuned to have just the maximum amount of sprites.