It was enough!

Anything related to Keen Modding.
szemigi

It was enough!

Post by szemigi »

Okay, sorry for being rude, but I have f***ing enough!

When I used the older version of KeenGraph that screwed up the final screen in Keen 4 (whatever I did and however I fixed it, it was screwed up). Then I used a newer version of KeenGraph, which finally fixed the screwed up CK4 final screen. BUT: this newer version of KeenGraph causes Keen not to read the book or shrug. So this "waiting-then-shrugging-and reading-book" problem appears because of this new KeenGraph version. And the BIG problem is I can't fix the problem in this new version. Whatever I did, however I fixed it, however I tried everything to fix it, NOTHING. The problem doesn't want to be fixed!

So after all I suggest to give KeenGraph different version numbers and upload them to Keenwiki as I'm f***ing fed up that I can't find the normal, bug-free version of KeenGraph! So I want the latest KeenGraph version. And I'm still fed up as I've spent x hours unnecessarily again because of this Keen sprite problem.

Edit: And Levellass, I'm still waiting for BioGraph, which you promise x months ago.
Fleexy
Site Admin

Post by Fleexy »

Please calm down.

The failure to shrug and read the book sounds like a patch problem. There may be older versions of KeenGraph available if you dig through these forums or the old Patch Index. There's always ModKeen too.

I have been thinking about writing my own importer/exporter, and now might be the time. EModKeen might do the job for Bio Menace if you can find it.
troublesomekeen

Post by troublesomekeen »

As far as I can tell, KeenGraph misses a few tricky frames that change sizes within a particular sprite set. A troublesome frame will appear a pixel above or below the surface of solid tiles making the whole sprite inoperable.

This will happen with Keen's shrugging and book-reading. It will also happen to the Gnosticenes that normally pace back and forth. I think the Treasure Eater/Smirky also gets messed up when exporting and importing graphics with KeenGraph. I've never known ModKeen to have this problem.

Editing the hit boxes in the List file can be confusing if you don't know how it works. Even today I'm confused by it, and I've been keening for about 4 years. It's usually a trial-and-error thing--something you just have to iron out with an equally iron-clad will. Like Levellass says, simple things can be impossibly complex.

There's a lot of tiny little steps to keening, as I'm sure everyone is aware, but it's east to forget some small but important steps, even after a long and strenuous career at keening. If my video tutorials on youtube.com/Breakdownhouse aren't helping, then this problem has gone beyond my meager capabilities to help.

It's really quite a mess, unfortunately. Some key tools lack documentation. You may not know what version you're using, or if it's current, or how to get an update. Some keeners have tools no one else has or knows about.
I've tried to get into modding other games, like GameBoyColor Keen, Nintendo DuckTales, SNES Earthbound, and while I've had some success, Commander Keen has been the most rewarding, the easiest to understand, the best to work with, the best tools, the best modding experience. But it's not going to be perfect. Something always breaks, or something is overlooked.
levellass

Post by levellass »

Yes, frankly it's a mess all over. And recent events haven't helped any.