re: using Ted5 on Bio Menace

Anything related to Keen Modding.
levellass

Post by levellass »

Once again gonna push for an 'automatic' option that does all the setup for ya.
reble

re: using Ted5 on Bio Menace

Post by reble »

A question to Fleexy. In BM3 level editor, level 0 outer fort. Down in the lower left corner there is 6 doors in a row with black all the rest of the way across to the right side with smiley faces all the way around it. What are those doors for? I have seen them on BM2 also. There doesn't seem to be any way to get at those doors during game play from what I see in the editor mode.

Steve
Fleexy
Site Admin

Post by Fleexy »

Press L to enable Links mode. It appears that various doors in the upper-right building/section connect to those doors, making that underground tunnel something of a hub.
reble

Post by reble »

Fleexy after I pressed "L" in the editor I see some of the link lines going to the smiley faces on the left edge of the map in BM3 level 0 outerfort. I don't understand why that was designed into the game. Can you please elaborate on that.
PS I just played that 1st level, level 0 outerfort and I still don't understand or see any way to those doors in the basement. I would like to understand whats going on.
Fleexy wrote:Press L to enable Links mode. It appears that various doors in the upper-right building/section connect to those doors, making that underground tunnel something of a hub.
levellass

Post by levellass »

As in Keen there are things that copy one part of the level to another part. In the case of Biomenace when a certain type of door is opened it copies that hidden part of the level. This goes all the way back to Dave 2.

So instead of having to code special kinds of door and stick to them the programmers just created some 'copy this bit of level' code allowing doors and other things to be different in every level.

Check out the Keen 4 map for a similar (But more hard coded) trick.
reble

Post by reble »

Question to Fleexy. Is there any HEX list available for the games that the Abiathar level editer edits? Like this list in the Dropbox link https://www.dropbox.com/s/687lgamzciesiy1/actors.txt that is for Duke Nukem 2. This list gives me the hex code to enter things like background squares and items, foreground squares and items, and infoplain squares and items. So I don't have to wast time hunting in the level for the item that I want to copy then past. Or if I am making a level from scratch.

Steve
reble

Post by reble »

Fleexy your help file for Abiathar is not very clear as to how to click on 1 small box in the title set and drag the copy screen to cover the other 3 little box's in the larger box to past the larger box into the game.

Steve
Fleexy
Site Admin

Post by Fleexy »

reble wrote:Question to Fleexy. Is there any HEX list available for the games that the Abiathar level editer edits? Like this list in the Dropbox link https://www.dropbox.com/s/687lgamzciesiy1/actors.txt that is for Duke Nukem 2. This list gives me the hex code to enter things like background squares and items, foreground squares and items, and infoplain squares and items. So I don't have to wast time hunting in the level for the item that I want to copy then past. Or if I am making a level from scratch.

Steve
Right-click the infoplane's picture in the selected tile bay and enter your hexadecimal value in the resulting dialog box. (Use General mode if you get a complicated dialog.)
reble wrote:Fleexy your help file for Abiathar is not very clear as to how to click on 1 small box in the title set and drag the copy screen to cover the other 3 little box's in the larger box to past the larger box into the game.

Steve
In the tile palette, switch to the Palette Copier by choosing it from the Tools menu or by pressing C. Click one corner of the area you wish to copy, then click the other corner. (Do not drag the mouse!) A translucent blue overlay shows you what tiles will be copied. To paste it, go back to the level and select Paster from Tools or press V. Click in the upper-left corner of where you would like to place the clipboard's contents. A translucent composite overlay of the copied tiles will appear while you decide where to paste.
MoffD

Post by MoffD »

Hmmm... Having it work both ways if possible would be a nice feature, I personally was trying to click/drag it as well.
Fleexy
Site Admin

Post by Fleexy »

I am apparently the only person who doesn't instinctively drag the mouse everywhere. :P The feature has been implemented and will appear in v2.2.
MoffD

Post by MoffD »

Fleexy wrote:I am apparently the only person who doesn't instinctively drag the mouse everywhere. :P The feature has been implemented and will appear in v2.2.
Your responding to feedback is admirable ;)
reble

Post by reble »

Yes I agree your responding to feedback is great.
MoffD wrote:
Fleexy wrote:I am apparently the only person who doesn't instinctively drag the mouse everywhere. :P The feature has been implemented and will appear in v2.2.
Your responding to feedback is admirable ;)