Keen Source Code Subforum?

Anything related to Keen Modding.
lemm

Keen Source Code Subforum?

Post by lemm »

When the source code is released, could we get a subforum specifically dedicated for "source" mods?
Benvolio

Post by Benvolio »

That is an excellent idea. We don't want the waters to be muddied between the old-style patching and source-derived patching. Not only could it impair the accurate chronicling of the history of modding, but additionally it could detract from the recognition that the heroic efforts of patchers thus far deserve.

I think there should be a source-mod subforum as you suggest, broken into 'releases', 'patches', 'requests' and 'theory discussion' much as the existing subforums are. This way, the option will remain open for traditional patching to continue should there be interest in it. Perhaps hybrid modding will take place, whereby the game's function might be modified through both methodologies.
levellass

Post by levellass »

Wait, won't source just completely supersede patching?
Benvolio

Post by Benvolio »

Probably...

But maybe some people like a challenge. Maybe some people... enjoy patching! Maybe in a few years there will be a "Keen Day No-Source Mod Contest". There probably won't! Source will reinvent modding and old mods will fall into obscurity due to their sheer primitivity!
MoffD

Post by MoffD »

Benvolio wrote:Probably...

But maybe some people like a challenge. Maybe some people... enjoy patching! Maybe in a few years there will be a "Keen Day No-Source Mod Contest". There probably won't! Source will reinvent modding and old mods will fall into obscurity due to their sheer primitivity!
Not before I make my first mod they won't! D:{
levellass

Post by levellass »

Benvolio wrote:Probably...

'Can you believe? This mod isn't even in 256 colors! And it uses chiptunes!'
KeenRush
Patch Maker

Post by KeenRush »

Naturally, a line between the mods that did not recompile source and those that did recompile source must be drawn. But the appearance of source won't stop [all] people making mods the old way: the old way is an art, the new way is... I don't know what to call it. I'm not interested in it. I will play productions utilizing it but they will never get much points (from me) for cool gameplay changes because the effort and the required knowledge simply won't be what they need to be with the old method. For me modding is all about working within the limits of the originals. Recompiling the source is making a new fork, and the original vanishes. No matter if you add one single statement, like ammo=ammo+10; after rescuing a Council member, it's a new fork, it's not Keen4 1.4 you have there.
levellass

Post by levellass »

I love you and wish to have your offspring.
Ceilick
Deputy Administrator

Post by Ceilick »

Moved to the general forum.

When the time comes I can add a "Galaxy Source Code Modding" subforum to the "Keen: Galaxy & Dreams" category. Depending on how source code modding develops, this may be sufficient or an entire category with its own subforums, similar to what Benvolio suggests, could be put in place.

That said, at this point I'd personally hate to see an immediate division of the release forum drawn on patching vs source code lines. They may be very different kinds of mods, as Keenrush says, but they're all Keen mods. I expect my opinion of this could change, again, depending how Keen source code modding develops.