SGA text-mode font

Anything related to Keen Modding.
Malvineous

SGA text-mode font

Post by Malvineous »

Hi all,

I'm not sure I've seen this done before in a mod, so if anyone is interested in a bit of a gimmick, I've designed an SGA font for VGA text mode. This allows you to change the glyphs displayed during the opening and ending parts of the games, like this:

Image Image

If you'd like to include this in your own mods, grab sga_vgafont.zip and take SGA.COM and include it in your own mod. Just add a line "sga" before the ckpatch one in your .bat file and you'll be set. Or if you're really adventurous, you can just run SGA.COM when you first load DOSBox and run all your text-mode programs with SGA text in them!

If you want to make your own font or edit mine, grab the DOS font editor vgafed30.zip from a simtel.net archive and open SGA.FNT from my .zip if you want to start with that. A bunch of other fonts are included with the font editor.

Bonus points to anyone who uses a custom font to place some sort of graphic on one of the text screens :-)
Benvolio

Post by Benvolio »

Haha fantastic stuff!! I tried it out in DosBox, and like a moron, I started with the primordial SGA text: "EXIT". And that was the end of that... Anyhow I am not modding at the moment. But maybe someday I'll make a mod, entirely SGA-based. I'm sure you can guess what .com file I would be including in such a mod!
levellass

Post by levellass »

I do believe this has been done once before in a Keen 1 tweak, at the time I wondered how it could possibly be done.
XkyRauh

Post by XkyRauh »

This is neat. :)