Galaxy bridges, and how they are assholes

Anything related to Keen Modding.
Bernie

Galaxy bridges, and how they are assholes

Post by Bernie »

There isn't much about bridges in the patch wiki for galaxy (its all vorticon stuff on there) so i need some info i think.

I always get 'bugs' with fiddling with bridge related things, or they just never work the way i think they should. they're real bastards. i dont know why they dont like me.

So I know they work infinitely across as many animated tile as there are, but do they work infinitely up and down? (I'm trying to animate a 9x9 block of tiles), and also, do they animate according to where tiles are placed in the source tile image itself? cause the tiles im animating are kinda broken up and all over the place in my tileset image cause im running out of room, so i wasnt sure if that could be a problem.

and also i know they're not supposed to animate the actual tile the bridge switch is targeted at, but the ones to the right of it, but i actually got the target tile animating with some of my tests :/ its strange.

So any light on these problems would be much appreciated. Also, are there any patches out there where you can play around with what gets animated? or how they function?

thanks a bunch :)
levellass

Post by levellass »

Galaxy bridges work by the following rules:

* The tiles involved must animate (As opposed to doors which don't.) The tiles do not ahve to be in the same location (See Zoltan for this.) in the tileset.

*The tiles will be flipped between as many animating frames as there are, so a bridge can have one part that animates two tiles and another that animates three.

* Bridge switches must aim at the top-leftmost tile of a bridge.

* A bridge is either one or two tiles high, one tile if the tile at the target animates, two tiles high if it does not.

* Thus in a normal bridge the tile to the right and also the tile beneat the target animates, like so:

XAAAAAA
AAAAAAA
Bernie

Post by Bernie »

levellass wrote: * A bridge is either one or two tiles high, one tile if the tile at the target animates, two tiles high if it does not.
Ohhh, this part i did not know. thanks levellass. maybe someone should add that to the wiki, cause i don't think it mentions this.

btw are these boards completely dead? you're the only one who replies to my stuff :p
Draik

Post by Draik »

Not dead, just quiet. Plus, when it comes to modding, Lass usually has the answers.
Bernie

Post by Bernie »

oh ok, heh.
Benvolio

Post by Benvolio »

Not dead, just quiet.
Yes, although this forum is a good calm venue for modding talk, it is in effect a continuum with http://pckf.rigeltechnical.com as many but by no means all of K:M users are PCKF users and vice versa. So, I and probably others check both fora in the same go in case of something novel. It just happens the idle talk and everything non-mod-related generats more talk than modding. Also, a lot of modding talk, certainly at the release-and-review end, occurs at PCKF now. The serious behind-the-scenes stuff remains here which is good and healthy.

And, as for modding as a whole, a glance at Keenwiki shows that modding release numbers are very healthy for recent years (approx. 12 in 2011, 17 in 2010, 19 in 2009) compared with say approx 25 in 2004. So maybe there's less talk here because there is a critical mass of basic modding info out there so people don;t have to ask as much, and also because there are many long-term-development mods being carried out quietly in different corners of the globe without much fanfare.