Commander Keen in "Where Is Everybody?"

Anything related to Keen Modding.
Paramultart

Commander Keen in "Where Is Everybody?"

Post by Paramultart »

I decided to make a separate thread from my "Help?" thread to show my progress on my mod.

I've come up with a name and title screen, and will be releasing a 2 level demo soon.

The game takes place right after "The Universe Is Toast", assuming Keen saves the universe, and returns to his home planet Earth, only to find that the whole city has been transformed into monsters. Now, it's up to Keen to make his way through a massive city, and try to change everything back to normal.

Levels include big city streets, parks, sewers, buildings, a moving train, and the Blaze Family's home.

All the new content in the game is original by me, or used from another Keen game.

Credit given to Levellass for her technical support and help, and everyone else who encouraged this project.

Hope to finish it real soon. :)

- Ryan
Last edited by Paramultart on Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kdash

Post by Kdash »

Cool, I like the title screen so far.
Not sure if you want constructive criticism or not, but I think Keen's shoulders should be made more symmetrical... either round off the left one (your left, Keen's right), or make the right one stick out a bit more.
Also there's not much contrast between the text and the background. You've got cyan/green text on a cyan/green background, and it doesn't really pop.
Other than that though, it's really good. I can tell from this and your other screenshots that you're good at graphics, and I can't wait to see the finished mod!
levellass

Post by levellass »

Question for modders: Why is it every Keen 4-6 title screen seems to be 'Keen's head looking upset against a background'? Not that I'm complaining, but it's got to me over the years. (For a titlescreen that is actually well done, the expression is unique and new, the title is lettered differently andt he background is nice and simple.)

I look forward to this, it seems that it will be an awesome release.
Paramultart

Post by Paramultart »

Genius314:

Wow, I didn't even notice the shoulder! I will fix that as soon as I start working on it again. I guess I was pretty careless throwing this together.

By the way, what lies in that little shed in the background, is the "thing" that's causing everyone to turn into monsters. ;)

Levellass:

That's a funny observation. The reason for mine being that I wanted to stay true to Keen, and I want this mod to fit in with the rest of the games in the Galaxy series. Keen 4-6 all have very similar title screens, as do the 7-9 mods. I appreciate that for your mod you took an entirely different approach, with a completely hand-drawn title screen, but I'm fine just emulating the other galaxy games. :)
szemigi

Post by szemigi »

It should be Keen 10. O_O Please! Please! I love it,i look forward to it.
Although i don't know what'd Ceilick say. :D
Paramultart

Post by Paramultart »

szemigi wrote:It should be Keen 10. O_O
That's what I aspire for it to be, but I am concerned that the Keen fan-base won't accept it as such if it's not good enough.

Nevertheless, the story still takes place directly after Keen 9, and I plan on releasing it shortly after Keen 9 is released. :)

I'm glad you're looking forward to this. I am excited to continue working on it, and hope to release it as soon as possible.

I tried fixing the title screen. Does it look better now?
szemigi

Post by szemigi »

Yeah. Btw, which Keen engine will you use?

Otherwise they shouldn't refuse this to be Keen 10 this mod. :(
Last edited by szemigi on Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paramultart

Post by Paramultart »

I'm using Keen 4, although I'm considering making a switch to Keen 5, since there's some features in Keen 5 that I need for the mod. (all the destructible components for the Armageddon Machine)
szemigi

Post by szemigi »

Ah.

Keen-fan base, will u accept this mod as Keen 10 or not? (You should i think).

It's enough good buddy,anyway.
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

Yay, nice to see this mod grow steadily
levellass

Post by levellass »

What is it with everyone's obsession with 'Keen 10'?

Also,y es, Keen 5 is the most 'advanced' Keen engine we have.
szemigi

Post by szemigi »

So Levellass, Keen 10 isn't good for this mod?

I think Keenfan base should accept it. It's enough good for Keen 10 as i looked at the title picture. :(
Paramultart

Post by Paramultart »

levellass wrote:What is it with everyone's obsession with 'Keen 10'?

I wasn't aware everyone was "obsessed" with Keen 10. :/

Also, why are you being so negative? Do you resent the CK community or something? Just curious. :/
Bonevelous

Re: Commander Keen in "Where Is Everybody?"

Post by Bonevelous »

Paramultart wrote:Image
It looks amazing! I can't wait to see the result. :)
szemigi

Post by szemigi »

Paramultart wrote:
levellass wrote:What is it with everyone's obsession with 'Keen 10'?

I wasn't aware everyone was "obsessed" with Keen 10. :/

Also, why are you being so negative? Do you resent the CK community or something? Just curious. :/
Yeah, it's very good i think to be Keen 10 this mod. But it's my opinion!