Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure II: The Humanizer Thread

Anything related to Keen Modding.
levellass

Post by levellass »

I have a simple BASIC program for doing that; you use arrows to move to a tile number (Or just type it in.) press enter and see\edit its properties. It was just a bit of a time saver for me when poking around.
T-Squared

Post by T-Squared »

OOH! May I try the program? :D (If it works, that will be perfect!)

(BTW, I'm also working on Atroxian Realm. Check out the BWB Megaraocket story image I did, under T-Squared Productions in the Dropbox folder.)
T-Squared

Post by T-Squared »

Hellooo?

*crickets*

*a tumbleweed blows by*

I have some music for the game (And some other graphics) in my DropBox...:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ul8gsihslzh11op/ypJGwVA1O0
Malvineous

Post by Malvineous »

The images are looking good! But unfortunately they are 24-bit true colour and the game is only EGA 16-colour - so none of the images can be imported into the game as they are. I was going to import some of the tileset images, but they'll need to be reduced to 16-colour EGA with the correct palette before that can be done.
T-Squared

Post by T-Squared »

Malvineous wrote:I was going to import some of the tileset images, but they'll need to be reduced to 16-colour EGA with the correct palette before that can be done.
The importing of images or tilesets into the game is not the problem. I already have a program for that. (Two, actually, thanks to levellass.) What IS the problem is programming the tile attributes, the data that tells the executable how Cosmo reacts to a surface.
Malvineous

Post by Malvineous »

Oh right sorry, I thought you were posting the graphics because you couldn't import them. How are you going with the mod in general then? If you're looking at tile attributes you must have a few levels done - can you post some screenshots of them? I'm curious to see what they look like. Any plans for releasing a one or two level preview for us to have a look at?
T-Squared

Post by T-Squared »

Malvineous wrote:Oh right sorry, I thought you were posting the graphics because you couldn't import them. How are you going with the mod in general then? If you're looking at tile attributes you must have a few levels done - can you post some screenshots of them? I'm curious to see what they look like. Any plans for releasing a one or two level preview for us to have a look at?
Urrg... No, not really. All I have at the moment is a list of levels, though. (Making graphics to fit the responsibilities of the actor objects and making them look unique is hard work!)
T-Squared

Post by T-Squared »

Hey levellass, do you have that tile attribute editor still?
levellass

Post by levellass »

So I keep wanting to post this, then forgetting. And remembering again, once I do this patch for so-and-so.

Ok dammit, here it is; it's DOS, but it shows you the tiles you're fiddling with: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3940020/COSTILE.zip

Blaaargghghghaghghgblll.
T-Squared

Post by T-Squared »

YAY!

It's a bit crude, but I believe I can make do with it. :D
T-Squared

Post by T-Squared »

Thanks to levellass' help, I was able to hack together a test level with the tiles I already had.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wcntk9je9mds2 ... letest.png

Yes, your eyes are NOT deceiving you. That is a portion of Vorticon VI, but the sign is in English instead of SGA. (There's a reason for that.)

The walls cannot be climbed (Keen couldn't climb them! ;P), and everything acts as it should, thanks to the editor levellass gave me.

I've also learned a few lessons about COSEDIT, the map editor for Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure. One is that you always have to specify a background and music index to go along with the level if you make a brand new blank level like I did. Otherwise the engine will use whatever EGA and music data was in memory before you entered the level.
Last edited by T-Squared on Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
levellass

Post by levellass »

It's interesting to see how primitive COSMO is in that context, also how its music and graphics memory can overlap.
troublesomekeen

Post by troublesomekeen »

Hey, hey! Look at that! Well done, T-Squared! You must be very proud. Nice work, crew! Y'all have come along way! Good going :)
T-Squared

Post by T-Squared »

Now that we have the ability to change all of the graphics and tile attributes, I'm having a slight problem reading the format for the level to change its more complex attributes, namely:
  • Whether or not it has rain
  • The palette rotation attribute
  • If its background moves horizontally, vertically, both, or not at all.
I didn't mention the music and backdrop indices, because COSEDIT takes care of that.

When I tried to modify one of the levels --intending to keep the background from moving-- by changing ONE of the hex values, I accidentally got rid of most of the actors, and seemed to shift the level so much that it "wrapped" around so that the beginning and end met in the middle.

At the moment, I think I figured it out, but I'll report back if I need more help.

EDIT: Nope. My new edit changed the music to the boss battle on level 10.

EDIT 2: Oh, I almost forgot. I will require some help in changing the music index for the ending screen of episode 3. (Normally this is the music that plays on the title screen, but for this, I need a different song to play.)
levellass

Post by levellass »

Do we have the level format anywhere?