Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure II: The Humanizer Thread

Anything related to Keen Modding.
Nospike

Post by Nospike »

This is why the XP era Paint is the best. Period.
T-Squared

Post by T-Squared »

I DID IT! I DID IT!

I HACKED THE TULIP ANIMATION FRAMESET! (Without crashing the game!)

I think the frameset data starts at $1A54D in Episode 1.

I have you to thank, levellass!

The extracted actor structure sprite filenames from COSGRAPH gave me an idea, to look for an exact pattern of numbers that would rarely occur in the game in this exact order: "00 02 01". These were the frame numbers for when the tulip begins its launching cycle (found at $1A554). If you change the three values after those into $02, you can make the tulip LOOK like its launching power has increased! (It extends the launching animation frame a bit.) Now, I haven't gotten any further into changing the actor behavior (such as hitpoint stats or movement), but it's a start!
levellass

Post by levellass »

As I noted, I have a program for finding where text is called from in the executable (Type the text into a file, run the program and it provides a patch file that contains the location and text wherever it is in the executable.)

Changing the enemy killed score is also simple enough. I've only done rudimentary poking about, but I've found a few things. (Like how to reduce the C 0 F10 bomb cheat to just pressing 0 and as many times as you want, good for testing.)

What we need however is some sort of Cosmopatch. it can easily be done if we find someone who can edit the source code.
T-Squared

Post by T-Squared »

Ok, people, as a result of prolonged development, I am making some changes to the project:

1. I am going to be producing an international version of the mod, titled "HUMANISED!!!". Here's a preview of the second episode's title screen:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/j38lk3hm57yqcvq/humanised.png

2. I'm going to change Cosmo's design for this mod, in the spirit of Epic Games doing so with the modern version of Jazz Jackrabbit. (Although I seem to have misplaced the design. I'll try to find it tomorrow.)
Benvolio

Post by Benvolio »

Excellent title screen T-squared.... really looking forward to this Cosmo mod whenever it makes its finished appearance!
T-Squared

Post by T-Squared »

Well, shucks, I was hoping to find this yesterday to complete the April Fool's prank, but I just found it only a few minutes ago.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0gzjnq40ymeuotu/newcosmo.png

This was going to be Cosmo's "new" design, done in the spirit of Jazz Jackrabbit's change from the PC to the Game Boy Advance, but the joke doesn't work today. The design was that of the Puerto Rico Arecibo Radio Telescope's mascot, and it was on a T-Shirt I got while I was there in Arecibo in February.

levellass

Post by levellass »

GBC Keen was terrible anyway.
troublesomekeen

Post by troublesomekeen »

Good stuff, T-Squared. Great artwork!
levellass wrote:GBC Keen was terrible anyway.
I am pleased and delighted to report that I figured out how to activate the Pogo Stick.
T-Squared

Post by T-Squared »

I have just one level idea to finalize and put down for Episode 3. I need ideas. (Homages to Space-themed MS-DOS games is the theme for episode 3, for those who don't know.)
T-Squared

Post by T-Squared »

I tried custom-sized sprites (namely the health Power Modules, and I changed them from 16x24 to 24x24.), but they corrupted most of the tiles making up the actors, and I did this twice. Both times they looked the same.

The actual palette and transparency are correct, it's just some of the graphics look like someone sneezed on an incomplete jigsaw puzzle; pieces repeating or in the incorrect spots.
levellass

Post by levellass »

Can you send me the edited graphics (Or at least ones of the same size?) I should like to investigate this problem and see what's up. (It should be terrible if the game allocates fixed amounts of memory for graphics.)

Also, where can Cosedit be found? The modding wiki needs a link methinks.
Malvineous

Post by Malvineous »

The ModdingWiki now has a link :-)
T-Squared

Post by T-Squared »

levellass wrote:Can you send me the edited graphics (Or at least ones of the same size?) I should like to investigate this problem and see what's up. (It should be terrible if the game allocates fixed amounts of memory for graphics.)
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ul8gsihslzh11op/ypJGwVA1O0

Here's the graphics! :D
Cobalt

Post by Cobalt »

Can you put Billy in it?
T-Squared

Post by T-Squared »

Cobalt wrote:Can you put Billy in it?
Billy? You mean Commander Keen?