5BMP0028-40: The Enemy Mug Shots

Anything related to Keen Modding.
thehackercat

5BMP0028-40: The Enemy Mug Shots

Post by thehackercat »

All right gang, I've decided that I'll be handling the sprite artwork for my mod.. but I need some help. How do y'all handle the enemy mug shots as seen in the Help section?

If you extract the Keen5 bitmaps with Modkeen, they should be 5BMP0028 through 5BMP0040. I can't take screenshots without losing almost all the color data. What could I do to replicate those pictures, with my new sprites?

Help appreciated.
-Ray
levellass

Post by levellass »

1.) Take screenshot in DOSBOX

2.) Open screenshot in paint. Select an area of that screenshot with the cut tool.

3) Open relevant bitmap in paint. Paste copied image.

4.) Save file. It now contains a part of the screenshot, in the correct format.

However I myself have been moving away from simple screenshots and more towards closer up images, maybe even large 'full screen' images containing several enemies at once interacting. I can even make them animate, to a certain degree.
XkyRauh

Post by XkyRauh »

I think it'd be cool to see an out-of-game representation of them--as in, a more detailed/differently angled/unique image of them that gives us a feel for their role in the game. :)
thehackercat

Post by thehackercat »

Maybe there could be a level with big posters of dissected enemies in the background... ;D That's levellass territory so far..
Hey, that reminds me:
@Levellass: I'm in high school, and I'm at the mercy of my parent's budget for the next 3 years.. Dropbox won't happen until at LEAST late 2013. Ugh.. If I could get credentials... *mischievous look*
Draik

Post by Draik »

Dropbox is free :P

You're not going to use more than 2gb of your own storage.
thehackercat

Post by thehackercat »

Ooohhhh... Dang, I didn't realize that. Thanks! </stupid>
levellass

Post by levellass »

In my bathroom the ceiling is falling in. I never use anything I have to pay for. :p
Maybe there could be a level with big posters of dissected enemies in the background... ;D That's levellass territory so far..
Dissected? Organs and such? Or are they electrical? It could be interesting if you have any enemies made up.
thehackercat

Post by thehackercat »

Well, I do have the Lil Ampton character made up.. I'll put up some concept art soon. But nothing else so far, aside from an attempt at a Spirogrip replacement which failed miserably..
EDIT: Check this out: http://www.dropbox.com/gallery/5492365/1/Keen?h=d54526
That's a basic concept of the Purple Virus, which is already in the mod. I'm still tweaking the graphics, but I DO have a Dropbox account now. More updates will come.. in the ACTUAL mod thread. ;)

P.S. Levellass, YOU'RE the nurse, do viruses have polysaccharide shells or protein ones?

LAST EDIT, I PROMISE: I fixed the link up there; it wasn't public access but now it is. :)
Last edited by thehackercat on Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
Kdash

Post by Kdash »

thehackercat wrote:P.S. Levellass, YOU'RE the nurse, do viruses have polysaccharide shells or protein ones?
From Wikipedia:
Unlike prions and viroids, viruses consist of two or three parts: all viruses have genes made from either DNA or RNA, long molecules that carry genetic information; all have a protein coat that protects these genes; and some have an envelope of fat that surrounds them when they are outside a cell.
*Realizes that he is not Levellass*
Um, disregard the first part of this post.
levellass

Post by levellass »

Blast! My sockpuppet account has been spotted!

*Most* viruses have a protein coat (Most bacteria a polysaccharide one.) however sneaky viruses can coat themselves with fat, parts of the host cell wall and yes, sugars. In the realm of microbiology, almost nothing is impossible.

For example, here's some that thrive on eating toothbrushes (Nylon) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nylon-eating_bacteria