CKPatch and Dosbox

CKPatch is a set of patching tools for all Keen episodes.
topjaklont

CKPatch and Dosbox

Post by topjaklont »

Hello,

I have been a Linux user since 1999, and I recently discovered Dosbox. The first think I did was replaying Commander Keen, the second thing was discovering the Art of Modding (-:. However, CKPatch does not seem to work with Dosbox (version 0.63). As I understand it, CKPatch uses an undocumented DOS feature. This feature does not seem to be implemented in Dosbox.

I don't mind editing the .exe itself: I can backup it and replace it and so. Is there a way to let CKPatch do this? If not, is there a place where all the known locations are documented, the place in KEEN5E.EXE for various types of information? I have already written a small Python script to place the MAPHEAD.CK5 in the correct place, but I want more. If it doesn't exist, I could even write a script that reads the .PAT files and edits the .EXE accordingly, for us Dosbox users, but perhaps I'm reinventing the wheel and if I wouldn't, I miss the information.

Who can help me out?

regards,
Gerrit.
xtraverse
Patch Crafter

Post by xtraverse »

I might be able to make this in the next few days
topjaklont

Solution

Post by topjaklont »

I found a solution:

ln -s KEEN5E.EXE NO_LABEL

strace rules (-:

It appears Dosbox actually tries to execute a file called 'NO_LABEL' in this situation, and then applies all patches to this file *in memory*. So everything is solved and works perfectly now. Huray!
grafix

Post by grafix »

Explain that in a more clear way. THis will be good news for all those XP/Linux Keeners (me included)

Is ln some DOS utility? What should the file NO_LABEL contain? I'm a little confused, but I'm sure I could work it out.